Fwd: RE: Gold Plated Aluminum Vacuum Chamber

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: RE: Gold Plated Aluminum Vacuum Chamber
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 15:12:30 -0700
From: info <info@atlasuhv.com>
To: 'George Clark' <gsclark@triumf.ca>

George,

We plate nickel on aluminum often. The nickel replaces the aluminum oxide and the coated chamber becomes excellent non-magnetic surface. Your aluminum chamber can be nickel plated too. Although nickel oxides may not work in a high resolution magnet. Also nickel is used as a strike layer prior to gold or silver plating. The best surface is gold , silver has oxides too.

Titanium is a material you can also consider. We build titanium vacuum chambers too.

Dick Bothell
Atlas Technologies
http://www.AtlasUHV.com
Ph: 360-385-3123
Fax: 360-379-5220
305 Glen Cove Road
Port Townsend, WA 98368

Re:       Gold Plated Aluminum Vacuum Chamber

To whom it may concern,

We are in the early stages of thinking about a vacuum chamber for a high resolution spectrometer magnet. Stainless is out because of the magnetic welds. We have been thinking of using Aluminum, but the physicists are worried about charge build up on the aluminum-oxide layer. Do you have experience plating the inside of your aluminum vacuum chambers with gold or silver?

CONFIDENTIAL

I have been asked to mark all correspondence on this project as Confidential. Would you, and all readers of this email, please treat it and any attachments as confidential.

regards
George